History of District 7510
The first Rotary Club was organized by Paul Harris on February 23, 1905 in Chicago. As the number of clubs grew, they were assigned to geographical districts to make management and operations easier. Club numbers often reflect the seniority of the clubs. For example, the Chicago club is #1; more recent clubs number nearly ninety thousand*.
- In 1915, the Rotary Clubs in New Jersey and New York constituted the Second District.
- In 1918, the New Jersey clubs and those in part of New York became the Third District. By then, the Rotary movement was growing rapidly; re-sizing districts was necessary to keep them at a manageable size.
- In 1922, the clubs in New Jersey north of Burlington County became District 36 and were known as the “Perfect 36.”
- In 1937, District 36 was split into District 182 and 183.
- In 1949, the clubs in 183 became District 271, which then became District 751 in 1957.
- In 1994, District 751 was reduced from seven counties to our current five, giving up Monmouth and Ocean counties to help form District 7500. District 751 was then renamed District 7510.
- In 2018, District 7510 and District 7470 were merged by Rotary International to form a new, larger District 7475. This was part of an overhaul of all most districts in New Jersey due to declining membership numbers throughout the United States.